Friday, February 26, 2016

Project bike for a friend:build a bike for less than 100$

So recently I purchased a bike for a friend because she needed one for commuting around savannah and hers wasn’t great I bought an old Mongoose ledge 2.1 21 speed bike for 30$ from someone on my university's campus,  it has serious problems the rear derailleur is bent completely out of shape, the cables are rusted to a dangerous level, and the rear suspensions bolts are heavily rusted as well.  The plan is to buy maybe 30$ worth of parts, new cables, new rear derailleur and a new chain.  after this I am going to buff the bolts in the suspension and try to get the rust off, the rust may(and probably will) come back but it will last for a while. there are also minor cosmetic issues the plastic behind the cassette has been broken off in multiple areas(this should not affect ride quality) as well as a few rust bulges on the frame, and faded paint on the shifters.  I will try to document my experience and keep the name of the parts the parts I am purchasing are:
shimano Tourney RD-TZ50 Bike Cycling Rear Derailleur 7/6-speed With Bolt Hanger
generic brake and derailer wire and casing
KMC Z51 6/7/8-Speed Bicycle Chain 1/2″ x 3/32″ 7.1mm for 18/21/24-Speed MTB/Road

No comments:

Post a Comment